Friday, January 02, 2009

Another Day, Another Dollar

I'm currently laying in bed, eating toast with homemade apple butter, listening to Dave Brubeck, and thumbing my way through Mansfield Park. What could be better? Perhaps what I have planned for the rest of the day!

I'm taking Mom and Aunt Eileen (who was a surprise visitor this weekend, those cheeky Fast girls...), to the Smithsonian's and the Kennedy Center for one of their Free performances. I'm really quite excited. Haven't been to the KC before, so I'm really looking forward to it. It was really fun walking around town with them yesterday. They were both so excited to be there, and Eileen even teared up a few times. It's kind of nice to be able to make dreams come true. I just have to try to forget that I've seen these things a few million times already, and try to recapture the awe that they first invoked.

Ok, on to other things. Sarahhhh I watched Burn After Reading last night, I didn't seem to enjoy it as much as you. But I also watched it with my mom and aunt, so I think maybe next time I'll watch it with someone my own age, perhaps it will be better. I'm not holding my breath though.

So I'm working my way through Mansfield Park, as I've said a few times already, and I find myself wanting to discuss it with someone else. The themes in this book are great, and could lead to some really superb conversations, but alas, no one else is reading it. I think that is a sign that I need to join a book club, or find one online or something. Unless YOU want to read it! We could start our own cyber book club. It could be quite amazing, people from various places around the country coming together to discuss a common book. Sounds down right glorious to me.

Since this post was pure drivle (and not the good kind) I should end it with something of substanance. Like a poem, or proverbial phrase, or cleverly hidden book recommendation. So I'll leave you with the words of Frosty the Snowman,
"Happy Birthday!"

4 comments:

Sarahhh said...

Ooh. I should have told you not to watch burn after reading with your mum. Sorry about that.

My favorite part is Brad Pitt's face right before the end...the look of surprise is.. well, it made me laugh out loud. I know, I know, I'm terrible...

But yay for the kennedy center!!!! I love those free performances. Hope you get to see a good one!

And yay for your mom surprising you ;)

Jamie said...

i should have known better. it actually reminded me of Lady Killers, and i loved that movie. Since i now own Burn After Reading, I'm going to give it another chance. i think i'll find it much more enjoyable this time. And I have to agree, Brad Pitt's face was hilarious!

The Kennedy Center was great! We saw Ken Kolodner play the fiddle and the Dulcimer. It was great. Actually i think i'm going to try to find some Dulcimer music on iTunes, it would be great sleeping music! Did you go out on the Rooftop Terrace while you were there? It was gorgeous!

Sarahhh said...

you own burn after reading?

oh how I love the kennedy center...I've watched the awards on pbs for years..it's great :)

I don't think I went out on the terrace you're talking about. too bad. but I did use the bathroom!

:)

Jamie said...

yea, my mom bought it but decided she didn't like it and left it with me.

i loved the Kennedy Center too! They give free tours everyday before 5. I definitely want to do that. And i want to see a performance there. I don't really care what, it would just be nice to say i saw something at the Kennedy Center.

too bad you missed the terrace. It was night and DC was glowing. Maybe next time!