Friday, January 16, 2009

Amitabh Bachchan "slams Slumdog"

It seems that the world is abuzz with Slumdog Millionaire, and not just because it won 3 Golden Globes. Media sources around the world claim that Amitabh Buchchan, a Bollywood Super Star, has "slammed" Slumdog, saying it portrays the "underbelly" of Indian society, and gives false impressions to the western world.

The BBC quotes Buchchan, saying "If SM (Slumdog Millionaire) projects India as [a] Third World dirty underbelly developing nation and causes pain and disgust among nationalists and patriots, let it be known that a murky underbelly exists and thrives even in the most developed nations. It's just that the SM idea authored by an Indian and conceived and cinematically put together by a Westerner, gets creative [Golden] Globe recognition. The other would perhaps not."

I do not agree with him. Yes Slumdog does portray a poor India, but also a wealthy. No movie shows every aspect of a culture. If you were to believe that a country is only what is shown in movies then everyone in India is constantly breaking out into song and dance; and Everyone in the US is either a Cowboy or is employed by the Mob. The movie doesn't change my image of India even though it may have shown it in a less than glamorous light. I think it is just as unfair to undervalue the poor and third-world-like conditions as it is to overvalue the splendor. Everyone deserves the right to be recognized regardless of their status. Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away. I think these are the words of a man who is afraid that the film will reflect negatively on him rather than his people and culture and should be given little credence.

************************************************************************************

Upon further investigation I feel compelled to amend my previous statement. It appears that Amitabh Bachchan has been taken out of context. Not only by the BBC, but by most of the Indian Media sources. I found his blog, and his most recent post states his frustration with how the media has latched onto his statement that was merely a rephrasing of a number of emails he has recently received. I didn't believe his claim at first, but upon reading the original blog, I feel that I am forced to agree. The original blog stated:

"The Salon du Cinema team meets me at the entrance to Paris-Nord station and after an exchange of greetings and flowers and video and stills, out into the wet and cold Paris streets, chased by a huge group of women, who scream and shout and clap, making you wonder what it is that I may have done to receive such an enthusiastic welcome in a country that hardly knows who I am. But, Fouad my driver and sincere personal guide during all my recent visits to the city [Paris], gathers me quickly into his car and drives off. They are migrants or asylum seekers from nearby or distant country and are begging he informs me. My ego brought into place I am saddened by their plight. Conditions the world over are so similar. Perceptions differ, but the reality of life and existence, unchanged.

On blog, comments for the film 'SlumDog Millionaire' and the anger by some on its contents, prompt me to say the above. If SM projects India as Third World dirty under belly developing nation and causes pain and disgust among nationalists and patriots, let it be known that a murky under belly exists and thrives even in the most developed nations. Its just that the SM idea authored by an Indian and conceived and cinematically put together by a Westerner, gets creative Globe recognition. The other would perhaps not."

I find his initial comment to be surprisingly similar to what I feel. The same conditions exist in all countries; and although he says that the same recognition might not be given on a global basis, I disagree. I think that the same plot could have been set in almost any country, portraying similar economic and social disadvantages, and it would have been hailed with the same accolades.

The story is a hybrid of the horrifying and heart lifting. The acting was superb, the cinematography just as great. The soundtrack was wonderful. This movies is, and should be credited for more than just the plot and culture.

Perhaps Bachchan, is just an overrated Bollywood star trying to keep a grasp on the fame he has gained over the years. I think it is more likely that he is just a poor celebrity caught in the propaganda produced by the Mass media with the hopes of profit. Poor guy. Makes me glad that I'm not a celeb.


*Most of this comes from recent emails with Sarahhh....I couldn't resist!

4 comments:

Sarahhh said...

:) glad you looked into it further! Not having seen it myself I don't have many opinions yet; only based on your own research. But it's definitely something I'm looking forward to seeing.

Then we can really talk!

Jamie said...

good. I'm going to hold you to that!

jonny said...

hey ja'mie, thanks for your nice words on my other blog. i 'preciate them greatly. also, you should buy/rent/steal/download this show called 'summer heights high.' it's from australia and it's funnilarious.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/summerheightshigh/

i'm not spam, i swear!

Anonymous said...

Ok. So, this has nothing to do with your post, but I wanted to say that I enjoy your Favorite Quotes and one time, I saw a Dr. Seuss quote there and wanted to say that I have a Dr. Seuss quote framed in my office: "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go." Just wanted to share...

-C-